This week is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, and Michael Tomlinson is encouraging constituents to be aware of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning.
Almost 18 years ago, Michael's younger brother Edward was killed by carbon monoxide, and Michael is keen to prevent this tragedy happening to other families.
Just like Gas Safety Week, Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week is here to remind the public how to keep themselves gas safe, and organisations across the nation are working together to raise awareness of the dangers of poorly maintained gas appliances, which can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Carbon monoxide can be emitted from appliances that burn gas, LPG or oil, or from woodburners and open fires. You can't see it, smell or or taste it, and it can kill you. If appliances are properly maintained, and chimneys are swept, they shouldn't leak CO gas.
To keep you and your family safe, follow Gas Safe Register’s top tips:
- Know the symptoms of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning; headaches, nausea, breathlessness, dizziness, collapse and loss of consciousness.
- Look out for warning signs your appliance may be unsafe, such as a lazy yellow flame instead of a crisp blue flame, error messages or unexpected noises from your boiler or dark and sooty stains around your gas appliance.
- Make sure you leave vents unblocked as these are there to help your appliance work safely and efficiently.
- If you smell gas or think there might be a gas leak, call the free 24-hour national gas emergency number immediately on 0800 111 999.
- Never attempt to work on a gas appliance yourself, always seek the help of a qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
- If you’re having your annual safety check, only employ a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer to carry it out.
- Always ask to see your engineer’s Gas Safe ID card. Make sure you check the back of the card, which will state which gas appliances they are qualified to work on.
Make sure that you get your chimneys swept regularly if you are burning wood or coal, and get appliances serviced regularly.
Get a free CO detector
It is essential that you have a CO detector in your home. This can detect CO gas, and will sound an alarm to make you aware. It is a legal requirement for landlords to provide these in rented properties.
Michael has a few more CO detectors from British Gas. If you would like one, please complete the questions in this form, and Michael will send you a free detector until stocks run out.